Saturday, October 16, 2021

Cajun Land

 My grandmother (we all called her mam-ma) was almost a hundred when she passed away. My grandfather (her husband) passed away before I was born, and he asked my dad to promise to take care of her as long as she lived, and he did.

She lived with us, and I was her bed partner. I loved snuggling up to her at night.

She was a feisty little thing and had 2 sisters and a brother who lived in Louisiana (her maiden name was Hebert… (pronounced A-Bear), a Cajun name, and we would travel on the train to visit them.

One time my friend from Texarkana went with us. We had a slumber party with my Louisiana cousins and talked about…. you guessed it… boys! I remember my Aunt Susie (who they named me for) was listening to us, and she told us about her boyfriends, and of course, it fascinated us. We almost fell out when she was talking about this one that was so cute, and she said he had a real pretty “horse and buggy”… I still laugh about it. 

They were such fun times, and I treasure those memories in “Cajun Land”!!

No comments:

Post a Comment