Thursday, December 31, 2020

Texarkana Baby

Book Clip
From:  The Suzie Plan
Copyright ©2016 Suzie Tyler

Odis teased me that I was his ‘Texarkana Baby’ and his precious thing that had him twisted around his  little finger like a piece of string but ‘gave him lots of sugar’! don't know about the next line “If she hauled off and slapped me, I would never feel the sting cause she’s my Texarkana baby.”  I never tried it.   I never asked him if the diamond he was going to offer me was “with one installment pay”.  I can’t say I’m a ‘genuine’ Texarkana Baby because “My pappy came from Arkansas and my  maw from Louisiana.” But, I am a real “Texarkana Arkansas” native!  And after all, Texarkana is where I met the love of my life.  Playing a vital part in my love story made Lake Texarkana and the Texarkana Gazette a special place in my heart!

Texarkana Baby was recorded by Eddy Arnold and in 1949 was one of the first 45 RPM records issued by RCA Records.
“She’s my Texarkana baby do I love her Lowdy Law,
Her pappy came from Texas her maw from Arkansaw
I’m twisted round her finger like a little piece of string
And yet I’m satisfied because she’s such a precious thing
She gives me lots of sugar and she never spills a grain,
If she hauled off and slapped me I would never feel the sting, She’s my Texarkana Baby!
One night I went a callin’ on my pretty little maid,
I must admit to you I was a little bit afraid.
To offer her a diamond ring with one installment pay.
She’s got two eyes that twinkle like a good ol’ country star
She’s got a perfect figure that’ll stop you where you are,
Why every time I look at her I think of my guitar, She’s my Texarkana Baby!

After a fifteen year separation, God’s ink pen is rewriting the lives of a boy and a girl who are now adults.  He allowed them to miraculously find each other without personal computers, cell phones or a ‘Google’ app ….

No comments:

Post a Comment