Sunday, August 30, 2020

Podcasting

Today, everybody is podcasting. But in 2004, it was a beginning phenomenon and my first experience with the term! 

My daughter, Karmyn, had recorded an album, and we premiered it at the historic Texarkana  Perot Theater in November!  I was looking for outlets to promote it and stumbled on the early podcast of Adam Curry, the PodFather, as they called him! I didn't know about having the right to play music, so I submitted the song Summertime from the album! As I listened to his show, he played her song and, at the conclusion, said, "Who is this girl?"  Well, I was elated. 

Karmyn was walking down the hall and heard his voice and said, "That's Adam Curry!"  I said, "How do you know him!"  She told me he was a VJ on MTV.  I didn't know what a VJ was but more interested in her knowing about MTV because it was off-limits to watch in our household!  The show played wild rock music that I didn't allow her to listen to!  Wow! What kids do when they are away from you. LOL. I had been hearing his podcast for several weeks, so when I found out who he was, I thought, "He is a nice guy, so it is okay!"

When I discovered that he really shouldn't have played her song because it was a cover tune, I thought, "Oops." Podcasts could only play original music!  Something to do with royalties, I found out! We became friends, and he encouraged me to have Karmyn write her own music and thus was born the song Drifting!   

Drifting


https://www.amazon.com/Drifting-Karmyn-Tyler/dp/B073DH2837

When Karmyn was living in L.A., they held a podcasting convention in Ontario, California. We attended and I met a lot of the podcasters who were podcasting at that time. Karmyn has maintained her friendship with Adam and is a faithful listener to his podcast, No Agenda. 

No comments:

Post a Comment