Saturday, March 21, 2020

I'm having a baby!

When you end up in a bad relationship, whether it was dating someone, an engagement or marriage, you want to guard your actions the second time so you DON'T make the same mistake twice. When Odis and I met again in May 1973, I only wanted a friend. I was hurt, suspicious and really did not think I wanted another man in my life... EVER!! I knew I had deep feelings for him that had never gone away but it was difficult at first to trust if he was real. 
By September, I was having faith in this remarkable man that God had allowed back in my life and changing my mind as I wrote: “I know you are praying that I will marry you and spend my life with you and it is working. I have loved you for 15 years and it has never gone away. I want to be with you wherever you are. Whether it is Texarkana or Lonsdale, I want to be with you. I can’t stand being away from you. Can we make it together? I know I love you and I believe we can. I’m tired of doing things by myself. I’m tired of going to church alone and coming home to no one. I want a Christian home and someone I can pray with, read the bible with and who loves me. I believe I have that in you!”
I remember asking JoAnn if she thought he was real. She said, "Time will tell." 

When my friends told me I was crazy, it would not work. They asked me why would I want to take on the responsibility of three young boys, but they did not know the history of our love from fifteen years before. Well, I'm glad I took a gamble and Odis proved himself worthy of the trust I placed in him. If I had listened to them, I would have missed a most remarkable love story.
I'm often asked how we made it work blending his three boys and my daughter after my emotional experiences. I have to tell them it was because he loved me ten times more than I could ever have loved him but mainly; he put God first but had me real close at second and I always felt his love.

I love my three girls and my inherited boys and their kids. I now get to look toward my first great-granddaughter!! I will teach her to love shoes, to shun wire hangers and to love her nana. She isn't born yet but she will be Miss America!

No comments:

Post a Comment