Saturday, March 14, 2020

Contemporary music VS Hymns

My take on the modern worship music is the atmosphere they are trying to create. It's difficult for me to get in an attitude of worshipping God with strobe lights hitting me in the face. I feel I'm being entertained and not led to worship.  I just like a clean non-cluttered sound!  
It's the difference in a person's concept of food. Some people like quantity over quality but I'm the opposite. Give me a good steak, baked potato and salad with NY cheesecake and I'm in heaven. In music, give me a good pianist, bass player and drummer with a rhythm guitar and I'm happy.  If you add an abundance of instruments, I prefer an orchestra over a rock band!  I know, I'm weird!  I like a clean smooth sound!
What can I say? I'm old and a traditionalist!
I recently got a new appreciation for what the young people want today when I attended a new church with Diane. They held it in the Oaklawn Opry Theater so there were theater lights but not too overdone, even for me. The young people were warm and friendly. Several shook my hand and welcomed me (obviously a senior citizen) to the service. The praise team was in one accord and no one personality was trying to hawg the spotlight but wanted to lead in worship.  I felt a presence of the Holy Spirit and I knew "God is in this place!" 
The main thing is the pastor preached the word!  His delivery was warm, direct, scriptural and related to his audience.  Most of the congregation was under the age of 25 and I realized, they would not feel at home in my traditional church.
Aren't you glad God didn't make us all alike?  

No comments:

Post a Comment