Thursday, July 4, 2019

My Fishing Story.

I guess everyone in the south has a fish story. Mine is a little different from most.

My first fishing experience was in a boat with my daddy and Grandpa Bud and one I never forgot. He was a perfectionist. He unloaded the boat and checked it fifty-eleven times to make sure every little iota was in place. He made me wear a life jacket, which made me feel awkward and clumsy. How could I fish and relax wearing that? They wanted complete silence, and I made too much noise for them. I did not have an abundance of patience and became bored waiting for the fish to bite.
When Odis and I dated in 1958, he wanted to take me fishing. I pushed my dull fishing outing to the back of my mind and loved being with him whatever we were doing.
Not being fond of the live worms that wiggled, I let Odis put them on the hook for me. I did not know that when the red and white bobber bobbled; it was a sign of a nibble and I needed to yank the line so I could hook the fish. The fish gobbled up my bait, and I only fed them. I learned that I am a better observer than a participant, and Odis realized fishing was not my thing.
When I met the boys fifteen years later, they excitedly told me about their fishing experiences. I told them my story about their dad taking me when I was not too much older than them. They laughed as I explained, "He never asked me to go fishing again."
From AGAINST ALL ODDS, We Found The Perfect Love
Copyright ©2019 Suzie Tyler

No comments:

Post a Comment