Saturday, May 11, 2019

The Accident



©2019 Suzie Tyler  
We had gotten engaged on October 13th. 
Just before Halloween, Odis had to be home several days after an accident at work, Some metal had splashed in his right eye, and he had to go to the hospital. His eye was burned pretty severely on the white of the eyeball. It wasn’t expected to affect his vision but would leave a scar. The doctor deadened it and dilated the pupil and taped a bandage across his eye, nose, jaw, and forehead. When he wrote to me about it, he said,
It feels like a big rock is in it and sure hurts. I have to go back tomorrow to see the doctor again. He said I would have to be careful of infection. One of the ladies at work got the metal out of my eyelashes, and a pretty nurse held my hand at the hospital, is that ok? She did not turn on my switch. Only you can do that. You’ve got the touch that turns me on.
I wish you were with me now. I would hold you tight, and you could kiss my eye, and it would get well real quick. I have to keep the bandage on to keep me from blinking my eye. He said if I blinked, it would irritate my eye. If you need me for anything, call, ok? I love you, little girl, more than life. Gonna take a pain pill and lay down and close my other eye.

When I got the letter at noon, I called him immediately. “Why didn’t you call me when this happened?”
“I didn’t want to worry you.”
“So, I am worried now.”
After talking with him, I drove to see him after work. I wanted to make sure he was okay. As he walked to the car to greet me, I could see the bandage over his right eye. He was so glad to see me and hugged me so tight it was difficult to breathe, but I didn’t care. I was just happy to see him. He said, “You shouldn’t have driven up here, but I’m glad you did. You are sweet. I love you and have missed you.
I said, “Well, I had to protect my interest from the nurses.”
“Honey, you had no reason to be concerned. None of them could compare to you. I love you, and there is no one else for me but you.”
“If something like this happens again and you don’t call me, I will be so mad at you.”
All the while he is kissing on me and saying, “I love you. Stay with me, okay?”
“I love you too. I can stay for a little while. Does your eye hurt?”
“Yes, but much better now that you are here. You’ve got the magic touch.

I left Diane with Margaret so she could do her homework. The boys had a ballgame, and his dad was at the gym with them, but I enjoyed visiting with his mom. I asked her, “Is he okay?”
She said, “The doctor said it should not affect his vision.”
I said, “Thank the Lord for that.”

The T.V. was on, but I don’t think anyone was watching. I was sitting on the couch by the side of his mother, and Odis was seated at the dining table across from me. He was mouthing to me, “I love you.” I would smile at him, wondering if his mom could see him and what she might be thinking. She recognized our love and was pleased. I showed her my ring, and she said it was beautiful. As I got up to leave, Odis walked out to the car with me. I said, “Please take care of yourself. I don’t want anything to happen to you.
“Don’t worry about me. I will be fine as long as you are with me.”
“I know you will, but I love you, and I worry about you. It isn’t fair for this to happen. I pray God will protect you and keep you safe. Please don’t strain your eye when you go back to work, okay?”
“I’m so glad you came. I’ll let you spend the night with me.”
“I wish I could. One day soon I can. I sure love you.”
“I love you the most.” He kept kissing me and holding on to me. “I know you have to go but don’t want you to. I love you. Please drive carefully.”

I opened the car door to get in and turned to look at him. “Get some rest.” I carefully kissed his eye bandage. “Now. That should make it all well.”
He grinned. “It already feels better.”
I hugged him, “I love you.” I kissed him goodbye and got in the car to drive back home. A few days later, he wrote the sweetest letter to me. 

Thank you for coming to see me. I know you really, really love me. When I touch your hand and look into your eyes, I see pure love. You don’t have to say anything I feel your heart beating love for me when I hold you tight against my chest. I see the smile on your face, the look in your eyes and I know you love me and will never leave me. Your heart can speak to my heart without saying a word from across the room. Don’t ever doubt my love because it is real. Your sweet love gives me hope and faith in us. You are the only one for me. Please believe me.
I miss you, darling, more all the time, and I feel lost when I am not with you. I love you more than anything on the earth, and I will continue forever. Please never stop loving me, please darling. No one can ever love me like you do. It was wonderful being with you this weekend. I fall more in love with you the longer I’m with you. I just hope you never get tired of me. I love you more every day. I would not want to live if I lost your love. You are part of me, and you are so very precious to me, and the most wonderful girl in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment