Monday, June 18, 2018

The End of an Achievement


My book is nearing completion and has been a two and half years of research, reading Odis' letters, interviews and recalling old memories. I not only could walk in Odis' footsteps, but I have also been able to read his journey. I have 50 chapters and over 220,00 words of love and feel a sense of achievement. It's been a long voyage of smiles, tears, and pain but the end of the love story makes it worthwhile.

This is a clip from the book AGAINST ALL ODDS, We Found The Perfect Love describing our wanting to recreate our 1958 plans. Odis wanted to ask my dad for my hand in marriage
Enjoy:

Copyright ©2018 Suzie Tyler 


When Odis met my dad, they had a common bond … they both loved me. 
They also had a love for the Word of God, and Odis told me,
“I love your family, they are a part of you, and I love you very much. I respect your dad and his knowledge of the Bible.” 

The first night we met, I expressed my feelings about my dad and wanted him to know he had a high standard to live up to. He understood from the beginning that Daddy was perfect in my eyes when I told him, I just want a man like my dad. When I was growing up, I can never  remember Daddy not reading his bible every day.” We had parental blessings with praying parents and grandparents who loved God’s word and covered us in their prayers. With their faith, they claimed scriptural promises for their families. That blessing was passed down from father to father making it a generational blessing. Many times when we picked up Karmyn after attending the boy’s ballgame, I would find his dad reading his bible in the kitchen late at night. Odis came along with that same love for God’s Word and kept me covered with his prayers.
The first time Odis and Daddy met, they had a lengthy discussion about the bible which was right down my dad’s alley. Odis loved hearing his biblical ideas, and especially end time prophecy which he had studied for years. Odis had a lot of respect for him and knew how important he was in my life. Odis had also cultivated the practice of reading his Bible every day as a child that extended to his days in the Army. When I had prayed for a Christian husband like my dad, God gave me the perfect one. Having sacrificed those fifteen years together, we wanted to start our marriage on the right track, and Odis said, 
“I want to do it properly and ask your dad for your hand in 
marriage.”

No comments:

Post a Comment