Thursday, May 5, 2022

An Electronic Generation (ALT Blog for April)

My age group became the first to be "entertained" by electronics. We became mesmerized by the development of the black-and-white TV, but were not yet addicted! We still used natural means for fun activities, played outside, and created ways to have a good time!

Today, that is unheard of! Cell phones dominate our family life, our conversations, and our entertainment! Even our bill paying and banking can be accomplished on a phone app.

When you walk into a restaurant, you think… Oh, good. People are praying before their meal.

No! They are looking at text messages, playing games, or searching google.

I recently wrote a book on growing up in the fifties. It made me reflect on the life I left behind. Neighbors trusted each other, and no one locked their doors at night. Mothers in the community looked out for the neighborhood children. I knew if I acted up away from my mom, someone would report it to her before arriving home, and I did not want to feel her wrath!!

In our 60s and beyond, we older folks have entered a social media world unknown during our growing-up years. Some of us have adapted to some extent, while others have refused to learn. I am just now getting technically savvy about Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram but lost with TikTok. Now I'm being introduced to words like Metaverse, Artificial Intelligence, Holograms, and Crypto Coins.

When I was young, I tended to think, 'ignore it, and it will go away.' Sadly, that does not work. At some point, you must face facts and deal with reality. Unfortunately, some of these changes are not for the betterment of our children.

A Metaverse World, simply put, is a 3D virtual reality world focused on the social connection where users can interact and experience things they would in the real world but with no accountability.

I really can't blame them. The world as we know it gets more complicated and unstable every day, and I'm ready to be transported to a place where I can experience peace and tranquility.

No matter how you slice it, a make-believe virtual world with Artificial Intelligence and no consequences will not be authentic life.

There is a spirit of selfishness in the real world today, and people no longer have a compassionate heart! We don't love others or God more than we love ourselves.

Guilty! I'm the first to raise my hand! There's an old saying: charity begins at home, and so changes! If we don't like our current society's behavior, we only need to look at numero uno! I can't change you, but I can change myself. We need a life values overhaul.

When was the last time you did a good deed anonymously?… Well, that's too long! 

No comments:

Post a Comment