Thursday, March 31, 2022

Heart Blog

 A few days ago, I had a new experience, and at first, it was a little overwhelming. 

There is a backstory to this blog. Several years ago, after Odis had a carotid sonogram, I began thinking about it and asked my doctor if I should have one. She said it was covered by my insurance and scheduled an appointment at the imaging center. It was a crazy experience. After completing the test, the technician asked me if I had any problems and why I wanted to have the test done. I explained it to her, and she kept going outside the room and coming back. She finally told me she could not give me much information, but I had a blockage, and I could not be released until she talked with my doctor. It was 5:00 pm on a Friday afternoon, and my doctor had left for the weekend. After reaching the doctor on call, he told her to have me go home and take 320 MG of chewable aspirin and contact my doctor first thing on Monday morning. The bottom line was I had 95% blockage in my left carotid that required immediate bypass surgery. I realized testing was important, so when my regular cardiologist decided to semi-retire and was no longer doing procedures, I checked out Arkansas Heart Hospital Clinic in Little Rock. I decided on Dr. Ribeiro, one of their cardiologists. 

I had no swelling or pain except in the muscle of my right and left upper arm. I take high blood pressure and high cholesterol medication, but I had a gut feeling that I needed to get my heart checked out if they could find one.

My first visit was at their clinic in Hope. His tests showed an abnormality in my EKG,  PET scans, and echogram, and he scheduled an angiogram in the Little Rock Clinic. That test showed a major blockage in the major artery to the back of my heart, the one they call a widow maker, and immediately scheduled me for surgery to put in a stent! They are done all the time successfully, just not on me!! It took some time to process the news, and it was a little overwhelming. No, a lot!

They did find a heart, and it is strong and pumping at 68%, which is good. However, the heart cannot pump blood through the primary artery that is severely blocked. 

I knew it was serious when the nurse told me to take off my jewelry, contacts, and false eyelashes! I tried to back out, but Diane wouldn't let me! Since she is my legal, decision-making, medical person, she was not ready to pull my plug,  so I've got to stay around a little longer to drive her and Karmyn crazy. 

I knew I was in good hands when Dr. Riberio came in and said, "I will do my best and let God do the rest." I remind God every day that my doctor did his best, and now it is up to Him.

I was awake and watched all of it on the monitor, and it was very educational!  

Afterward the procedure, the doctor told Diane that it was severely blocked, and it was good he got to it when he did.

The Ark Heart Hospital staff is outstanding! I told them I was a VIP, and they believed me and gave me excellent care!

The blockage occurred because of all my bad eating habits through the years, so I am being a good girl now and following a heart-healthy diet. That means no sweet tea or Dr. Peppers, my go-to drink. I'm changing it to a glass of red wine every night before bedtime.

PS I already lost 8 pounds. Maybe I can again model a swimsuit. lol

 

No comments:

Post a Comment