Sunday, May 27, 2018

One Unplanned Innocent Kiss Changed My Life Forever

Copyright ©2018 Suzie Tyler 

As Odis lifted my hands to his lips, kissing each one, there were emotions I had not felt in years flooding my heart and scaring me. We sat silently as the radio played a song I had not heard before. It caught my attention with the words,  ♫♪ you’re still Cinderella to me. ♫♪  At that moment, it was the way I felt. I looked at the clock and said, 

“It’s almost midnight. I feel like Cinderella at the ball. I hope I don’t turn into a pumpkin.” 

He let go of my hands and again placed his arm on the back of the seat and said laughing, “If you turn into a pumpkin, I’ll make a pie out of you. Pumpkin pie is one of my favorites.”

I laughed, “At least I haven’t lost my glass slipper yet.”

Amused he said, “I would find it and put it back on your foot.”

“Then, you would have to marry me.” I quickly retorted as the song played the words,   Won’t you let me take you home ... ♫

He quickly said, “I think I could do that.” We both laughed. I wondered what he meant. Marry me or take me home with him or both?

I said, “I guess I have always been fascinated with make-believe. Is that bad? You probably think I’m still a child. I guess it helps block out problems.”

“It’s a man’s job to create a perfect world for his girl.”

“I’ve never had anyone say that to me before. That’s nice.”

I really liked his thinking. I didn’t know if it was a line, but it was appealing. I was enjoying our time together and hated for it to end but realized it was getting close to one o’clock. I looked at him and reluctantly said,
“Guess I should go in. It’s almost one, and I feel bad keeping you so late. You have a long drive, but I’ve loved reminiscing. It’s been fun going down memory lane with you. I hope we can do it again.”

He moved his right arm from the back of the seat and placed it gently on my shoulder and touched my chin with his left hand pulling me toward him to give me a good night kiss, but I turned away. You must remember; I had not dated in thirteen years. I was raised in a different era than today’s world. I was still old-fashioned, and you don't kiss on the first date. He read my mind and gently turned my face back toward him and said with a smile,

“It's not like this is our first date.”

So, I let him kiss me for what seemed like an eternity. Oh, my, I think I melted into the seat. Bells and whistles went off so loud in my head, I was startled. When our lips met so tenderly, it combined his heart with mine, and the blend of the two exploded. The love I felt for him in 1958 as a sophomore was stirred and my heart was beating so fast I didn’t know how to react. At that moment, an unplanned kiss showed me that love was still alive and more profound than I had imagined. He had not lost his talent as a good kisser.
He got out and walked around to open the car door for me. We neither one said a word as I got out of the car. He slipped his arm around my waist as we walked down the sidewalk to the front door. I felt like I was walking on a cloud. My knees felt weak, and my heart was beating at least 113 beats a minute. I think he was holding me up, as I tried to keep my composure. Standing on the front steps, he tenderly kissed me on the cheek and said,

Goodnight have a safe trip back to Conroe tomorrow. I’ll see you in my dreams.”

 As I opened the front door and walked inside. I leaned up against the closed door for a moment to catch my breath and wondered what had just happened. I wanted to stay in the moment and never ever leave it. Trying to keep the remembrance of that kiss fresh in my mind, I touched my lips with my two fingers and sighed with a feeling of seventh heaven. 


No comments:

Post a Comment