Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Unexpected Gifts

Life's little unexpected gifts....

I remember when Karmyn was born, she was the first daughter for Odis and he was an only child. Odis' dad, or Papaw as everyone called him, was so in love with his  granddaughter that he called her his angel.  The entire family of his siblings knew that Karmyn was "Papaw's Angel'  He loved his grandsons but she was special.  He would make all the boys put their loose pennies in a jar reserved just for her....  We still keep a large vase just for pennies....  

When I inherited the three boys,  I wasn't really equipped to "handle boys".  I only had a daughter and could relate to the female  "species"... Papaw was a lot like me, high strung, easily bored and lots of energy!  He really understood me best.  I loved Mamaw but she was quiet, reserved and never got rattled over anything. Guess that is where Odis gets it from.  I remember one time we had several inches of snow for several days and being cooped up with 4 children and one on the way was a little overwhelming....  Papaw called me and asked me how I was doing and I said these kids are driving me crazy...  He said send two of them down here.  They lived in the next block and it was a town of 105 population so I said you and you, down to Papaw's house...  ha ha  I would never have made it without him and Odis mom and their emotional support of me during that time. I know God allowed them to live  just for me...  :)  

We moved to Texarkana and "Papaw"  would drive all the way from Hot Springs as often as he could get away to see his little 'ANGEL'  ...  Karmyn went to preK at Miss Bertha's and Miss Margaret was the Head Mistress.  She was awesome... She taught Karmyn so much about love and compassion.  I was amazed at the things she taught to the kids...  Karmyn came home reciting the entire Matthew story of the birth of Jesus.  Papaw loved to hear her recite it and would pay her money over and over to hear her recite the story...  I think she racked up enough for "college"!  ha ha 

They always did a play at Christmas and end of the year.  I remember the first play, Miss Margaret and Miss Martha would tell me "you are going to be surprised when you hear Karmyn sing".   The play was at the Lutheran Church on Texas Boulevard and I can still remember like it was yesterday the sound that came from her little vocal chords.  We were just hoping she wouldn't "embarrass" us and instead we sat there speechless hearing this bell like crystal angelic voice coming from OUR child.  Miss Margaret said the first time she heard her sing that it sounded like an angel singing and she got chill bumps.  

Here I had prayed for a musical talent that would "blow my mind" and although I wasn't specific, I had had in mind a Concert Pianist and was already teaching her piano.   With the recommendation from Miss Margaret, I enrolled her with Esther Mills Wood the best Piano teacher of all times in Texarkana .... 

Now, you will have to wait for "The rest of this story" .........


No comments:

Post a Comment